Monday 4 January 2010

A Brick Wall

I crashed into one of these this christmas period, and not for the first time. Last go round I tried to brush it off, but on this occasion I think I'll have to admit it. And that is ... that er, I don't really want to be a photographer, because I kind of get fed up of it. I'm not able to sustain my enthusiasm and motivation towards it because - honestly, I'm not all that passionate about it, It's just one thing among many, which I enjoy.

So this is a bit of a problem really, a big one - made of hard oblongs cemented together. But hold on, when I started this course, I said I wanted to do a degree in photography, not that I wanted to be a photographer (it's important to distinguish and separate those two) with potentially ending up doing something related to/around/involving photography ..possibly.

Hence, my attempt to bounce off this wall, with something that has recently motivated me: teaching. This interest has stemmed from the peer review sessions, which, without my intention, led me to tutoring and mentoring some of the 'younger' students. And surprising myself, I found I was very enthusiastic towards the bettering of their knowledge, understanding, methods, and overall work. Dare I say I almost cared more about this than my own project work, which was (and is) steadily becoming more of a chore.

I've always enjoyed teaching - in the general sense of the word - explaining something to someone, and having them understand and then achieve because of it, has always derived a certain satisfaction for me.  Finding that I can apply this to a field I am interested in, and in a vibrant, progressive, creatively alive environment such as university, is very exciting. Consequentially I am looking forward, with teaching in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment