Monday 7 June 2010

Working with Light - Final Day

The Working with Light module has now come to an end. I can say that it has been an absolute pleasure for me working with the first year students and the staff, in helping to deliver and get the most out of this module. I must say a very grateful thank you to those students that came for the extra peer session days - for inputting their ideas and enthusiasm into making the days a success. As a student mentor, my role is reliant on that level of group interaction and positive response, which makes the whole experience worthwhile. I hope that I will continue this mentor relationship into my third year, and I hope that some of the first years will take on mentoring for the lower years as they progress through the course.

On Thursday, we had the interim critique session, with all the class and tutors reviewing the final pieces before the submission, there was some excellent work shown, a couple of people which stood out for me were Larissa Grace and her street portraits, and Dean O'brien's personal piece. In general I was very impressed with the originality and and range of exciting ideas, which people had made a solid attempt at exploring. As students this is a good approach to our work, one which involves risk rather than security, you have to push yourself and your work.

I hope the blog has been useful, it certainly has been interesting for me to track what we've done. All the posts for this module can be viewed under the working with light tag, if you should wish to recap anything from the sessions.

It may have been noticed that there's been a video camera dotted about in our last couple of sessions, this is because I am making a short video summing up and reflecting on my work as a student mentor. I'm currently in the editing stages and this piece will soon be posted online.

Thanks again to all, best of luck with your new projects, I look forward to them.
See you next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment