Saturday 2 April 2011

Bedroom Self-portraits

This work arose almost without intention. Through the researching and planning done as preparation for the major projects, I found myself drawn to make self-portraits in a manner that any photographer, or even just camera user, might do: simple self-contemplative images, taken in a personal space, and utilising mirrors, timers, remotes, and webcams. I've come to title and know the work as 'The bedroom self-portraits'. Its earliest incarnation was in my initial experimentation and expression using a standard mirror.



Although these pictures are not part of my planned production. They do speak of the themes I want to address, which I suppose is why they have arisen. For instance the idea of an enigmatic duality between a public and private self. The images are made privately, in a private space, but them shown publicy, and hence undoubtedly contain some conscious altering of the presented me. Do I produce and edit the images to show me as attractive, thoughtful, mysterious? Or do I disregard those desires and go for something 'honest'? Or is it somewhere in between?

The images led me to think of Airyka Rockefeller's self-portrait series – Between or Before. I can't say I was inspired by the work as I made the association afterwards. But I feel that there is some parallel within the personal introspection of our self-portraits.

Airyka Rockefeller After the Acupuncturist 

Airyka Rockefeller Between Flesh and Stone

No comments:

Post a Comment