Wednesday 28 October 2009

Camera Obscura


Leading up to some work with pinhole photography, I had a go at making some room-size camera obscuras. I was appealed to the phenomena of photography in its most 'primitive' form. A camera is basically a dark box with a hole in it, put something light sensitive and 'fixable' in it and you're making photographs. Add some complex curved glass, a film winding mechanism or digital sensor, and you've got a modern camera.

The notion of standing inside a camera is quite delightful in itself, but the whole process also helped me to finally grasp the principles behind aperture adjustment and its effect on depth of field and zoom. Hence the exercise was very valuable to my wider understanding of the photographic process. So this is the 'making of' - please excuse the cheesy music, I was just trying to make it more entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment