Tuesday 19 October 2010

A Walk - Summer Task

This is a video piece I made as a beginning to the photography and narrative module, hence forth known as 'phonar' (see the website including details of the tasks here, also the twitter hashtag #phonar).
A very grateful and respectful thank you to Brendan Beales for the music.



Reflection

This piece was critiqued by Jon Levy of Foto8. He didn't finish watching it, because he said (and I agree) that it wasn't exciting enough - or easily receivable as a narrative - to keep someone's attention for its length. You have to lead the audience along, by the hand if necessary, to keep them 'entertained' or held by your work; especially with a video, which now being a very common received piece of media, needs to be easy to watch. Or at least that's one opinion. I think for me now – producing engaging film, takes priority over creating difficult/challenging video work. I have decided to put this particular project aside (perhaps to be visited another time) but I will take forward the useful lessons it has taught me regarding the importance of delivering a succinct and captivating narrative.

No comments:

Post a Comment