Wednesday 3 November 2010

Golf Tee Crack Racoon - Unphotographable Phiction (sic)

A trans-media project, using a text of the same title from Michael David Murphy's Unphotographable website (unphotographable.com) and a photograph of Alec Soth's from his project Sleeping by the Mississippi (alecsoth.com/​photography)



My interest in the clever use of writing to tell an alternative story, or even to tell a story alternatively, drew me to this piece by Michael David Murphy. It was a challenging yet intriguing sentence to read, and to speak, but one that I felt had the potential to encourage second views/listens; the humour of it also appealed to me. After compiling the various sound elements (ambient golf course, golf drives, plastic bags, executive snobby golf-types, and wet farts) to reinforce the story, I felt that to show a picture of a dead racoon or drugs bag would be too 'easy'. I wanted to subvert the piece, to add to the confusion of it, but still retain some of its emphasis. Considering it as a rather dry and ironical piece of writing, led me to think of Alec Soth's photography. Also I could imagine a link between the setting of the writing, and the aesthetic of the landscapes which Soth photographs. I only wanted one picture so as not to confuse the overall piece, or detract from the told story; and I wanted that image to have a slow reveal so as to again encourage the viewer to be quizzical.

The feedback suggested that it was perhaps a bit too vague and confusing. On reflection, I can appreciate this, but also the consideration of how different elements of a media artefact can come together so as to compliment and support one another. This enhanced understanding is what I will take forward for future productions.

No comments:

Post a Comment