Monday 29 November 2010

Uriah John Lee - Transformative Storytelling

The 5th task for #phonar was to weave a photographic narrative using only found images (possibly an archive), and as a development: provide a soundscape to those photos which informed the narrative further.



Hearing of my recent interest in the First World War, my mother mentioned my great-grandfather, who served in the war. She then produced an old suitcase which contained photographs of him, and letters he received - an archive of his life. The documents fascinated me, partly because of his unique and special history: as well as a veteran of the First World War, he was also a highly regarded picture restorer at the Tate Gallery, receiving medals in both cases, including personal appreciation from members of the royal family; and also because of the sudden if distant connection I felt to him. I decided to make an audio recording of the conversation between me and my mother as we went through the archive, knowing that it was likely she would provide some interesting stories and anecdotes. I hoped that extracts of the conversation could be used as a backing to the pictures, to tell this family history story.

No comments:

Post a Comment