Thursday 2 December 2010

Feedback and Development from Proposal

The feedback that came back from the proposal seemed positive. It was stated that the direction I was pursuing with these ideas seemed strong and well reasoned, but I acknowledged that the research will likely need to be narrowed down further as I progress with it. Overall the proposal is good, and Ed was happy for me to continue without any major alterations.

A particular point that Ed responded to and that enthused me also, was the notion of an oscillation between narcissism and self-mockery, a relationship which can be found within the humourous self-portrait. The two behaviours, although opposite, are both inward-looking and seem to have a supportive relationship whereby one allows and justifies the other. I can recognise this characteristic within my own work, and I'm hoping to track it down in other practitioners also.

Ed suggested that the Bibliography be widened - which I am hoping to accomplish as I 'circle inwards' around my topic, and locate further resources. Also he thought that the concept of humour should now play a significant part in the research, and in the presentation as well seeing as my own practice relates to it. Then the notion of self-mockery is something which I can really play with, and it could potenially assist to liven up the talk.

The following resources were suggested by Ed:
  • Staging the Self - a book on self-portrait photography (1840's - 1980's)
  • Mirror mirror - a book by Liz Rideal which accompanied an exhibition of self-portraits by women at the NPG.
  • Emmanuelle Levinas's philosophy on the 'face to face encounter' and 'face to image encounter'. Possibly titled Beholding the Other.

No comments:

Post a Comment