Wednesday 9 March 2011

Self-Mockery within Male/Female Self-Portraiture

Although it was never a planned enquiry of my investigation, an interesting issue of gender has arisen in my research. Without intention, all of the photographers/artists that I have chosen as suitable examples for my argument, are male. It seems that self-mockery within self-portraiture is a behaviour or endeavour more suited to men. I can see this relating to the fact that men seem to be dominant in the profession of stand-up comedy, and many comedians display self-mockery, or if not that, then a readiness not to take oneself seriously.

Women's self-portraiture tends to relate to more serious issues, notably often femininity or female identity. It seems to me that the female gender is the one more loaded with potential for reflection on its role and reception as a gender in society, simply because of its historical cultural background. When humour is used it tends to be more outwardly than inwardly critical – think Sarah Lucas, Tracy Emin or Julie Pochron. The male self-portraitist however, seems to have greater ease at traversing into a self-mocking stance. 

The two examples of women using self-mockery I came across are the films of video artist Shannon Plumb, and Anna Fox's series Super Snacks. However Plumb's work doesn't seem particularly inward looking or in anyway autobiographical, and Fox's work comes across as rather despairing humour. 

Shannon Plumb - The Corner (still)

I think, without intending it, the type of self-mockery which I have come to understand and question originates from the male reflection on his own inabilities or shortcomings. Naturally that is the self-mockery which I can relate to.

Taking this male reflection further, Bjorn Veno's blog is an excellent exploration into man's place today, and also this post 'The good men are not needed' by Danny Ledonne.

No comments:

Post a Comment