Tuesday 2 February 2010

From The Inside

“To photograph from the inside. Photograph as Nan Goldin says ‘Your Tribe’. Study someone you are close to and make images with them that of an intimate nature. Pay attention to both the relationship and the form of the image - look for the light.”
Ok so not exactly new territory for me, but If you've been reading this you'll know that I hit a bit of a serious creative block not too long ago, and hence my interest in activities around photography. However that's not to say I want to give up entirely on making photographs, I do still enjoy this.

I'm aware that I tend to get wrapped up in critiquing and then over-thinking my work, almost before I've finished producing it. (a delightfully blunt friend of mine recently informed me "You talk too much.") This is not an enjoyable nor positive way to work. So recently - hoping to be a bit freer and easier with expression - I've simply made pictures and tried to avoid any initial or in-depth self-criticism. Naturally there is always a notion of 'quality' which is unavoidable, but I can let that make its judgement almost subconsciously, and there by not distracting my process. I'm aware that some of the work is not great, but it does interest me. And for me at the moment, what's 'interesting' rather than what 'looks good', is what counts. The curating of the work can be considered later.

I've always been photographing friends. These two are quite used to me now, and so I continued with last weeks method of shooting unobtrusively, and then giving direction - asking for a look. Found myself thinking of Goldin.

My father is similarly very used to me being around with a camera. I set up a frame with the camera on a tripod and then watched the scene for sometime, choosing my moments. I've previously discussed my interest in storytelling, and so put together this small narrative piece from scanned negatives (click to enlarge and scroll across). 

I've not photographed Alex before, but did this with an old Mamiya RB67 i.e. looking down into the camera, and so not the usual intrusive off putting lens-face. This is possibly Elinor Carucci, and definitely Nicholas Nixon inspired.   












Contact sheets below.

3 comments:

  1. I am not much of a photographer, but I do like the first photo and the series of your father. The lighting adds a good ambiance.

    I have read a bit more of your blog, and I find your thinking process intriguing. yes, quite possibly the hallmark of a good educator...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement, an 'educator', sounds better than teacher - lose the school connotations I suppose.

    The narrative work with my father I think is the piece from this post that I wish to take forward. Really finding storytelling to be a way to make photography more exciting/inviting. The lighting is all natural of 'found' which is what I like best for this intimate documentary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi George,

    Self criticism during your process is not necessarily a bad thing. I think I have an idea why you feel it is stunting you, now:

    You have learned (via a rapidly expanding knowledge base and more sophisticate philosophy) a very strong critical voice. I think what has not evolved at such a speedy pace is the trust and subsequently confidence in your creative voice.
    If you are going to be your own worst critic, you need also to have the confidence to take your own hits on the chin.

    Your work is excellent. Believe it.

    ReplyDelete