Wednesday 10 March 2010

Preliminary Exhibition

Seeing that the deadline is approaching, I've started to consider what to submit for the Picturing the Body exhibition, and feeling that I have a strong body of work to draw from, I've experimented with a few different methods for editing that work. Sequences, montages, mixes, single images, and the method which has stood out most, (and hence which I'm carrying forward) collages, or grids.

Considering the reduced size of the individual images, and the fact that I still wanted those images to be seen in detail, meant that this collage would have to be seen big. So I had a go at projecting it, taking up as much of a clear wall as possible. In this space the image held quite a presence, and so I began photographing that, and then this became the image, or rather is this now the exhibition?

Inspiration for this image came from Hiroshi Sugimoto's work of long-exposed cinema screens. 

I then thought to put myself in the picture, contemplating my own work, naked of course. The body in its natural form, considering itself in its natural form, but presented in a very unnatural way. Fascinating to see how the colours of the image become more 'real' when projected on to human skin. I am particularly fond of the eye line in the last picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment