Wednesday 10 March 2010

Thoughts on Ross Rawlings' Photography

Currently studying a masters in photography at Falmouth University, and a recent graduate of Coventry, Ross Rawlings has been a keen participant of the 'Picturing the Body' free online course. His work can be seen here.

I followed Ross's work online as he went through the 'picbod' course and tackled each of the weeks briefs. There was some positive and engaged discussion on his week two work, which inspired me to write this comment piece, however I've waited till now to write it, because I wanted to see where Ross would take the work (also gives me more material to discuss). So for week one he started with some clearly considered environmental portraiture, demonstrating confidence with his process of engaging people for the camera. It was encouraging to read about.




For week two Ross made use of his method of coupling to the purpose of "creating a narrative, and an image that leaves a lot of questions unanswered." The work was responded to well and lots of talk was taken up around this idea of narrative. Personally I think narrative is not quite the right term, I think of it rather as 'suggesting'. A connection is suggested across the two images, the light leads me to think it is something ethereal or dreamlike. The narrative is to come later, with a greater number of images, when more can be inferred from the work. That is my take on it anyway, it's a term which is banded around quite a lot in photography and open to varied interpretations/uses.


There is no doubting that Ross's technical ability is flawless. He has developed and identified his own style of light – the best word I can think to describe it is 'pearlesence'. And I find his posed photography, where he locates, controls and utlises this light, to be most striking. There is a distinct emotive feel which runs through this work, I struggle to pin it down, but (as others have identified) I can relate it to Rinko Kawuchi's photography. I had a go at arranging some of my favourites. 

In the week two comments Ross mentioned an open narrative and leaving interpetation to the viewer, he then expressed a desire to present a clearer narrative. Seeing as he has now achieved a succession of strong work which is identifiable to his name, I wonder if this can be done. If he can bring together a body of work with meaning behind it, open-ended or resolved.

All images ©Ross Rawlings 2010, taken from http://rossrawlings.wordpress.com/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment